Friday, March 7, 2014

When times are tough

I spent my night doing my usual activities. I hung out with my mom, got ready for bingo, and headed over to Katie O' Leary's. I was a card seller, so while games were being played, I had time to scroll through my Facebook newsfeed. I came across this article. I am angry. I am sad. I am absolutely sickened. 
Ever since hearing about Caleb, I have been praying and asking why. This makes me want to scream "WHY" even louder at God. All night I have been trying to comprehend the position these people are supporting. I sat at my best friend's kitchen table staring at the website that said "God hates fags". This post is not to discuss my political view on same sex marriage. It is to discuss respect.
 Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am thankful I live in a country where I am able to speak freely about what I believe. I am thankful for men and women like Caleb, my brother, and my best friend who are willing to give up everything in order to protect my ability to speak freely. I also understand that the people of the Westboro Baptist Church also have this right. 
All over their website they have pictures of upside down flags, signs talking about how much God hates America, and how soldiers die because America allows homosexuality. The most disheartening thing I found was a quote the said "Thank God for 8 more dead troops. We are praying for 8000 more." Those troops are people's loved ones. It is so extremely hurtful to hear these things. I cannot understand there reasoning. Yet again, I understand their right to an opinion. I just do not understand why they express it in such a disrespectful way. 
This is not the first time I have heard of the WBC, and sadly, it probably will not be the last. It is because of young men and women like Caleb that they are able to continue with their protesting. I hope and pray that God can change their hearts. 
As for now, I pray that our community can grieve together and support each other. It is a difficult situation that has just gotten harder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment