Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I love my community.

As a titleholder, I am often asked what I love most about the community. The answer is simple: I love the way the community pulls together and supports each other during a time of tragedy. I think back to seventh grade when Alec was killed, sophomore year with Jacob, junior year with Steven, and senior year with Abby, the entire community came together and did everything they can to support the suffering families. In our community, it doesn't matter who you are, you are affected. 

Last Friday, tragedy struck our small town yet again. Lance Cpl. Caleb Erickson of the United States Marines was killed in action on a combat mission. I was driving home from school when I got the news and the first thing I thought was "why?" He had so much life ahead of him. He had so many people who loved him back home. Why does God always have to take the good ones? 

 Caleb and I went to ECFE together. I have pictures of us hanging out with Sparky the Waseca Fire mascot, reading books at the library club, and so much more. So many people have posted on Facebook about how Caleb was known for making them smile. Although our exchanges were limited to youth group and quick hellos in the hallway during high school, he really did always make me smile. 

I will never understand God's plan. I have come to peace with that. Right now, I am able to appreciate the sacrifice that Caleb made to protect our freedom and a loving, supportive community. I believe that Catie DeBates said it the best, "Bluejays are known for their calls that carry for long distances. Remember to call upon one another during difficult times, and be there for one another." I am so beyond blessed to have had the opportunity to grow up in such an amazing community and so many bluejays to call upon. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, Katie. He sounds like an amazing man. And I can't believe how many young people your community has lost. How heartbreaking! I'm glad you have each other.

    ReplyDelete